Speed dating sittingbourne
It has been the site of a settlement on the shore of the River Thames adjacent to Gravesend since Roman times. Northfleet became a town in 1874 with the Northfleet Urban District Council being established c. In 1974 it was merged with the adjacent Borough of Gravesend. Northfleet was in the lathe of Aylesford and the hundred of Toltingtrough.
It was recorded as Norfluet in the Domesday Book, and Northflet in 1201.
That grandiose scheme did not materialise in quite that way, but the area of Northfleet still bears that name.
On Friday, 16 August 1941 150 German aircraft flew through the Kent skies, to deal the worst blow to civilian life the county had experienced to that point in the war.
Its name is derived from being situated on the northern reach of what was once called the River Fleet (today known as the Ebbsfleet). By 1610 the name of Northfleet had become established.
Aspdin's works became Robins & Co in 1853, sold on to the Associated Portland Cement Manufacturers (APCM) in 1900, which was taken over by the Lafarge Group in 2001.The industry requires plentiful water supplies, and chalk as its main ingredient, both of which were to hand.When in 1796, James Parker set up kilns on Northfleet creek to make his Roman cement, it was the beginning of a large complex of cement works along this stretch of the river.The first council offices were off the Hill, but the council then moved to Northfleet House (now a nursing home for the elderly). Romans lived in the area now known as Springhead, which they called Vagniacae.A Roman road, which forms the basis of the A2 Watling Street, divides the area.
At night the gardens were illuminated with thousands of coloured lights and there were fireworks displays and dancing.